This week let’s explore books about the wind with Bibi the BookSpring Butterfly. The wind can make power, and it can spread seeds around so flowers and vegetables can grow everywhere. What do you like about the wind?
Watch these videos, download books to read together, and explore things to do with BookSpring.
Books to Read Together
Here are some books to read together! You can download and save them and keep them forever, to read again and again. Discussion questions are available for each book.
When the Wind Blew Today
- What animal was on the kite?
- What would you do if you saw an animal riding on a kite?
- What creature did the little girl’s brother see when he was flying?
- What did Windy not like to do with her friends?
- What color kite did the boy catch?
- What happened to the other kites?
- What happened to Thambu’s kite?
- Can you name Thambu’s family members?
Kites in the Sky
- Why do you think the white kite is sad?
- Which kite is your favorite?
Hoy cuando sopló el viento…
- ¿Qué animal había en la cometa?
- ¿Qué harías si vieras un animal montado en una cometa?
- ¿Qué cometa de color atrapó el chico?
- ¿Qué pasó con las otras cometas?
El Papalote de Thambu
- ¿Que le paso al papalote de Thambu?
Things To Do Together
Can you see the wind? How do you know it is there? List five ways you could tell the wind was blowing by looking through your window.
What about if you stood outside with your eyes closed? What senses can you use to tell that the wind is blowing?
Although we cannot see air, it is all around us. Use this easy experiment to show how it pushed against everything all the time:
- Take a plastic cup and put some water into it
- Place a piece of cardboard on top (it must cover the top of the cup)
- Holding the cardboard securely, quickly turn the cup and cardboard upside down (over a sink!)
- Let go of the cardboard – the air that pushes up from underneath will hold it against the cup and keep the water from pouring out.
Ways to Move Together
Pretend to be a tree moving in the wind. How will you move if there is a light breeze blowing? How will your movement change as the wind increases?
At the end of the week, reflect on what you read and what you did.
- I learned that I could tell the wind is blowing using my senses.
- Did you learn any new words?
Come back each Sunday for new Weekly Themes from BookSpring. Meanwhile, keep reading…
Please share your photos and stories by emailing them to email@example.com or tag us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with #BookSpringATX #ReadTogether. Remember to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more weekly themes and Community Storytime videos.
BookSpring Weekly Themes are released for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. You are free to use and share this for personal and educational purposes.