This week’s theme is Read it with Feeling! Bibi encourages you to learn about feelings with a good book.
Watch videos, download books to read together, and explore things to do with BookSpring.
Here are some books to read together! You can download and save them and keep them forever, to read again and again.
Emotions Come and Go
- Use the questions in the story
- Why is Akku angry?
- What makes you angry?
My Inside Weather
- What feeling is like a thunderstorm?
- What do you think it means to feel “windy and wild inside” your head?
- How does seeing a rainbow make you feel?
How I Feel
- How did the narrator feel when they saw a snake?
- What is the narrator feeling on pages 10, 11, and 13?
The Grumpus Rumpus
- How do animals show their emotions?
Las Emociones Van y Vienen
- Use the questions from the book
El Enfadado de Akku
- Why is Akku mad?
- What makes you mad?
Mi Clima Interior
- Why is it important to talk about our emotions?
- Do you think that sometimes other people don’t understand your emotions?
¿Como me Siento?
- How do you feel when you’re scared?
- How do you feel when you’re sad?
- How do you feel when you’re happy?
Things to Do Together
Talk: What are feelings and emotions? Try to name as many as you can! You can even use emojis from your cell phone or device and try to name which emotion each face represents.
Write: Make a list finishing these sentences:
I feel happy when __________
I feel sad when _____________
I feel angry when _____________
I feel nervous when ____________
I feel excited when ____________
I feel scared when ____________
I feel loved when _____________
Create: Make your own feelings wheel! Make a list of all the emotions you can think of, and then cut out a large circle from a piece of paper. Make a section for each emotion and draw a little face to represent each emotion. You can use this every day to help identify different emotions!
At the end of the week, reflect on what you read and what you did.
- How would your life be different without the people you learned about this week?
- Did you learn about a new job?
More Ideas To Build Young Readers
Extension activities in English:
- Watch this video on Feelings from PBS Kids
- Read Brave Irene
- Read A Bad Case of Stripes
Extension activities in Spanish:
- Watch the Rueda de Emociones
- Watch Sesame Street discover emotions here
- Aquí es más información sobre sentimientos y emociones
- Learn and sing about emotions with Pink Fong
Come back each Sunday for new Weekly Themes from BookSpring. Meanwhile, keep reading for more parent tips and recommendations!
Please share your photos and stories by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram with #BookSpringATX #ReadTogether. Remember to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more weekly themes and Community Storytime videos.
BookSpring Weekly Themes are released for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. You are free to use and share this for personal and educational use.